This course contains a series of posts, that helps developer to learn Perl Programming from start. Practical Extraction and Report Language alias Perl.
Perl is a programming language with the following features
- a high-level: Language with human-readable code
- dynamic scripting
- Iterative execution: The statements are executed in sequential order.
It is a free and open-source language. It is a web-based language similar to PHP
Perl is mainly used in writing different types of applications
- Processing large text files
- Writing Command line scripts for system administration
- String manipulation
- GUI Application development
Perl is free to use and runs on any platform. It contains source code and binary code available to the public.
- Simple and easy-to-learn language
- Support OOPS
- Easily write batch scripts with string search and regular expression
- Supports all major platforms
- Free and opensource
- Extend the functionality with a lot of modules
- Interpretative language, so need to compile and slow in running
- Some modules such as CPAN do not work on other machines.
Is Perl easy to learn?
Perl is an easy and simple programming language to learn for beginners. If you have one programming language such as C, It is straightforward and quick to learn. Additionally, If you know shell scripts, and Unix commands, Easy to learn.
How long does it take to learn Perl?
Learning basics is one week if you already have programming experience. If you are not from a programming background, It takes a couple of weeks to learn and implement
Perl File extension
The file extension is
pl. Any text file with a pl extension contains a Perl code.
- Perl module extension - .pm
- Perl library extension - .pl
- Perl scripts - .plx or .pl
Perl’s Current Version is 5.36.0 And version 4. x is not being used anywhere.
Perl Version is 6.0 which is called Raku with more object-oriented features.
It supported the following Operating Systems.
- Linux or Unix flavor