Eclipse workspace is a group of projects stored under a single folder name.
Sometimes, We want to delete the workspace and change the workspace
How to remove and change workspace in eclipse
There are multiple ways to remove workspace in eclipse
- delete workspace directory One way is to go to the workspace directory and delete the workspace directory.
It removes the following things
- All projects in Workspace
- Eclipse temporary cache
- .metadata folder that contains settings
Next, during eclipse startup, You can change the workspace
change workspace using preferences Another way, change the workspace using the below steps
- Go to
WindowsMenu and Select
- It opens the Preferences window popup
- Go to the
Startup & Shutdown
- next, Select
workspacesand select the
- It removes the workspace configuration settings from eclipse and does not delete them from the file system.
- You can select a new workspace and restart eclipse.
- Go to
This change the default eclipse startup workspace
using configuraiton option Another way using configuration settings to change the workspace
Go to the Eclipse installation folder
Select Eclipse -> configuration -> .settings folder
org.eclipse.ui.ide.prefsin a text editor
It contains the following content
MAX_RECENT_WORKSPACES=10 RECENT_WORKSPACES=c\:\\Workspace\nB\:\\workspace1 RECENT_WORKSPACES_PROTOCOL=3 SHOW_RECENT_WORKSPACES=false SHOW_WORKSPACE_SELECTION_DIALOG=true eclipse.preferences.version=1
RECENT_WORKSPACES property contains all the recent workspaces separated by a colon(:), Remove this property or change its new workspace.
It does not delete workspace from the file system.
How to change default workspace in eclipse
There are multiple ways we can do that.
One way is using the Go to File menu, Select the Switch workspace option and select the new workspace, next, restart eclipse to take effect.
Another way is using the below steps
- Go to the Eclipse installation folder
- select eclipse -> configuration folder
- Open the config.ini file in the text editor
change osgi.instance.area.default key value from