YAML - Multiline Strings
This tutorial covers YAML tutorials,Multiline Strings with literal block and folded styles with indentation examples.
yaml multiline strings
As you know YAML document contains key and value pairs.
In yaml document, if value is larger to accommodated in single line,you can wrap string in multi lines.
There are two syntax ways we can represent multi line strings
- literal block
- folder block
literal styles with pipe operator
Multi line strings are stored using pipe character (
important points about literal styles
- The new line are preserved
- Leading spaces or indentation are removed.
- Strings can have with or without quotation marks
storing the new line using pipe character
string1: | Line1 line2 "line3" line4
folded block styles with > character
The strings in multiple lines are enclosed as folded form using
Important rules about folder syntax
- Leading (beginning) indentation or spaces of a line are not considered
- Trailing or end of line spaces are not preserved
- new line are not preserved
- new line are converted to spaces.
string1: > Line1 line2 "line3" line4