JSON file is file extension, an data format for storing and transfer the data between different systems over http networks.. These files contains configuration values very popularly used by windows Operating System.
XML is abbreviated Extensible markup language and used markup
It can be extendable and It contains tags with start and end tag.
It is maninly used to store data and transfer the data between machines.
- It is platform and language independent.
- Processing JSON is faster compared with XML,YAML
- It is human readable for simple configuration and settings
- Read and write with any programming language
- content of this files with easy key and value pairs
- More Security
- You can creating your own tags using schema language and DTD
- Supports Unicode and encoding
- XML file includes content and tags, so tags making xml heavy weight
- It is more in size, SO data transfer between system is costly
- No support for Arrays
- XML files are not readable compared with JSOn
XML use cases
- XML can be used in many type of projects for configuration settings
- Windows uses configuration settings for drivers,keyboards,mouses
- Configuration and settings of the software applications
- It is used in SOAPI Webservices to transfer data between systems
XML file extension
xml file extension is
.XML, You can use any IDE or text editor to open this file.
XML File extension rules:
- XML files extension is
- file supports UTF-8 encoding format by default
- Supports whitespaces, tabs and newlines asci code
MIME format type - text/xml, application/xml.
MIME is abbreviated as Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions which is a format specified in request and response that is transferred between client and server across internet. Content-Type and accept headers in a request object are specified with this format following is the mime type for this documents
and request contains the below value for JSON data sending over the internet
Content-type : application/xml
Editors to read and write xml files
All the popular IDE supports the XML file extension and also provides plugins to validate the XML file content.
- Visual Studio Code
- Oxygen XML
These editors contains features syntax highlight, pretty print and linter.