JSON file is a file extension, a data format for storing and transferring data between different systems over HTTP networks. These files contain configuration values very popularly used by Windows Operating System.
XML is an abbreviated Extensible markup language and uses markup
It can be extendable and It contains tags with start and end tags.
It is mainly used to store data and transfer the data between machines.
- It is platform and language-independent.
- Processing JSON is faster compared with XML, YAML.
- It is human readable for simple configuration and settings
- Read and write with any programming language
- content of these files with easy key and value pairs
- More Security
- You can create your tags using schema language and DTD
- Supports Unicode and encoding
- XML file includes content and tags, so tags make XML heavyweight
- It is larger, SO data transfer between systems is costly
- No support for Arrays
- XML files are not readable compared with JSOn
XML use cases
- XML can be used in many types of projects for configuration settings
- Windows uses configuration settings for drivers, keyboards, mice
- Configuration and settings of the software applications
- It is used in SOAPI Webservices to transfer data between systems
XML file extension
XML file extension is
.XML, You can use any IDE or text editor to open this file.
XML File extension rules:
- XML files extension is
- file supports UTF-8 encoding format by default
- Supports whitespaces, tabs, and newlines asci code
MIME format type - text/xml, application/xml.
MIME is abbreviated as Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions which is a format specified in request and response that is transferred between client and server across the internet. Content-Type and accept headers in a request object are specified with this format following is the mime type for this documents
and request contains the below value for JSON data sending over the internet
Content-type : application/xml
Editors to read and write XML files
All the popular IDEs support the XML file extension and also provide plugins to validate the XML file content.
- Visual Studio Code
- Oxygen XML
These editors contain features syntax highlight, pretty print, and linter.