JSON file is a file extension, a data format for storing and transferring the data between different systems over HTTP networks. These files contain configuration values very popularly used by windows Operating System.
It contains String, integers and arrays, and a list. It is also used to store some configuration data with json files with key and value pairs like key:value. These are enclosed in braces.
JSON is suitable for representing data in hash table format and is easy to read and write the data using various programming languages.
Advantages of JSON file extension
- Easy to read by humans with simple syntax
- Processing JSON is faster compared with XML, YAML
- It is human-readable for simple configuration and settings
- Read and write with any programming language
- the content of these files with easy key and value pairs
- JSON data is not secure while interchange data between different systems.
- No support for binary data
- No support for Date type but the date in the string can be saved
- There is no support for comments in JSON content
JSON use cases
- JSOn can be used in any type of projects for configuration settings
- Windows uses configuration settings for drivers, keyboards,mouses
- Configuration and settings of the software applications
JSON file extension
Initialize configuration in a file with extension
.JSON, You can use any IDE or text editor to open this file.
JSON File extension rules:
- JSON files extension is .JSON by default
- file supports UTF-8 encoding format only
- Supports whitespaces, tabs, and newlines asci code
MIME format type - text/plain
MIME is abbreviated as Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions which is a format specified in request and response that is transferred between client and server across the internet. Content-Type and Accept headers in a request object are specified with this format following is the mime type for these documents
and request contains the below value for JSON data sending over the internet
Content-type : application/json
JSON supported Editors
All the popular IDE supports the JSON file extension and also provides plugins to validate the JSOn file content.
The editors provide auto format and linting capabilities.