hocon is abbreviated as
Human-Optimized Configuration Object Notation
It is new format which is super set of JSON file type.
- It is case sensitive
- file extension is .conf
- Tabs are not allowed,
- Some editors allows spaces
Advantages of hocon
- It is very easy and simple for represent complex mapping
- Human friendly readable and writable
- Simple to modify with any text editor
- Suitable for configuration settings
Disadvantages of Hocon
- It is new format introduced recently, learning curve exists.
- Not much popular other than xml and json
hocon file extension
hocon files created with extension
You can use any IDE or text editor to open and create this file.
All the popular IDE supports the hocon file extension and also provides plugins to validate the hocon file content.
MIME format type - application/hocon
There is no office MIME type for hocon document content as per IANA, but it can be represented using
When hocon data is transferred between client and server,Implementation vendors add MIME type settings specified in request and response across internet.
accept headers in a request object are specified with this format
following is the mime type for this documents
and request contains the below value for hocon data sending over the internet
Content-type : application/hocon