In this post, We will discuss the steps involved in installing NIM on Windows and Linux environments.
Nim language is a new imperative programming language developed by Andreas Rumpf
Nim Installation on windows
Please follow the below steps to install nim on Windows
- First, check whether your machine is 32 bit or 64-bit machine.
- Based on it, Download the NIM zip file from here .
- It downloads the Nim zip folder to the local file system.
- Extract the zip file and copy it to the
- Next, Set environment variables and add them to the PATH variable
- Open terminal
- type the nim command to check the version installed
C:\nim\bin>nim -version Nim Compiler Version 1.6.12 [Windows: amd64] Compiled at 2023-03-10 Copyright (c) 2006-2023 by Andreas Rumpf
It gives the correct version number
How to install Nim language on MacOS
There are multiple ways we can install using the below options
- using homebrew
In the terminal, type the below command
brew install nim
It installs the
when you type nim or nimble in the terminal, It looks for an executable file from the
/usr/local/nim/lib folder and it does not work.
To make it work, create a symlink for the lib folder as given below.
sudo ln -s /usr/local/nim/1.6/nim/lib /usr/local/lib/nim
Now, the nim command works with this.
- using MacPorts if you already have MacPorts installed, please run the below command
sudo port install nim
Nim Install on Linux and Unix
To install on Unix machines, follow the below steps.
[choosenim](https://github.com/dom96/choosenim#choosenim)is a Unix installer and you can install or update multiple versions very easily.
- Next, In the terminal, run the following commands to install the latest version of NIM
curl https://nim-lang.org/choosenim/init.sh -sSf | sh
- Follow instructions to install on Linux.