GNU EMACS is an text editor popular in Linux flavor operation Systems.
It is a popular free open-source editor, that supports Unix, Linux, macOS and Windows.
Originally, it is developed for Unix OS, but later it is ported to a different OS.
GNU EMACS features
- Command-line based as GUI Based
- Lightweight and fast
- Multiple windows with buffers supported
- Search, find and replace text capabilities
- Auto indentation
- Autocomplete with limited support
- String case conversion lower and upper
- Less Memory consumed
- Code Debugger
- IRC Clients
- News reader
- Package extensions
What is Emacs editor used for?
Emacs is a popular text editor used in all OS.
It is small in size lightweight and fast compared with other editors in Linux. We can open multiple file at once, easy to navigate between them
Emacs editor advantages
- It is simple and easy to use
- Can extend and customizable
- Easy to extend and add features
- Best editor for opening larger files
- Command centric and everything supply using commands and it works best in Unix
Is Emacs better than Vim?
Emacs is a simple interface, Vim is difficult to learn initially. Popularity wise VIM is better than Emacs.